Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:43:51 -0400
From: Ludwik Kowalski <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>
Subject: Re: ?FAQs?

It occurred to me that the FAQ format is not necessarily the
best for supplementing the PHYS-L archive. A better way
would be a list of categories, for example, names of chapters
and sections and subsections from a typical textbook. The
list could be posted as a webpage. Each category would be
a link to a page with links to related PHYS-L messages.

In fact, a real textbook could be more useful to teachers
if it provided an instrument for fetching the PHYS-L
messages according to its content. A good project for a
group of veterans. Perhaps it can even be sponsored by
NSF, a publisher, or another agency. Links to articles
published in The Physics Teacher could be added to
the instrument in order to increase its usefulness.
Ludwik Kowalski

I agree with Yanai that it would be very very useful to create
the FAQs archive for phys-L. Perhaps somebody is willing
to undertake this big job and make the archive available on
a webpage somewhere.

Yanai Krutman wrote:

Hi,

Is there any kind of FAQs archive for phys-l?
If not why?

I think that a FAQs physics-l archive will be a good place
for many questions and examples. What do you think about?

Dan is proposing read the archives, but consulting FAQs is more
productive in terms of time! Am I right?? Somebody is interested in
organize and administrate it?

...well, there is the archives at
http://mailgate.nau.edu/
I assume you have read the PHYS-L homepage at
http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/phys-l

If someone wants to edit together FAQs from PHYS-L postings, or whatever
I am willing to host them on purcell and link to them from the phys-l
homepage, or if you want to hiost them elsewhere and I just link to them
that'd be ok too.

I don't see myself collecting FAQs unless they can be published somehow,
myself. (That new faculty publish-or-perish thing, you know...)
Certainly I encourage others to take this on if willing...

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner

------------------------------

Leigh wants to use other FAQs archive, may be the discussions here
are/were quite different??

There exists a FAQ archive in the newsgroup sci.physics which has some
very good articles. I don't have the URL, but someone else likely has.

Leigh

------------------------------

I would take a look, thank you!

--