Re: Astronomy Software

I am currently using Starry Night in class because it has the more
realistic appearance. It does not have all of the functionality of
Redshift3, but it certainly looks much better displayed in the classroom.
The only thing that I have seen better is DANCE (and it's a lot more
expensive!).
Currently my primary requirement for selecting a textbook is the
availability of a CD containing the text images/animations which must be
in a format easily accesible to Powerpoint. Almost every book I've looked
at is pretty good and each has strengths/weaknesses (meaning things I
like and don't like of course!), but I've seen much greater variability
in the quality of ancillaries such as an associated CD Rom.
I currentl do all my lectures via Powerpoint and then make them
availble on our campus network for student review. This is the reason the
CD is the #1 thing I look at.
James Mackey

What's the best astronomy
(planetarium) software package out there? I've always liked Starry Night