Subject: Re: Geiger, not binomial ?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:50:09 -0500
From: Ludwik Kowalski <KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>

"Glenn A. Carlson" wrote:

There is every reason to expect your data to fit a binomial
distribution since it is the correct distribution. However, as Mr.
Cleyet correctly points out, the Poisson distribution is more useful
here because of the huge number of nuclei in your sample (on the
order of 10^23) and the virtually zero probability that any one
nucleus will decay during the counting interval. ....

Suppose we know nothing about radioactive decay at all. The
counter counts something. Perhaps these are cars crossing a
line on a busy highway in consecutive seconds. Who cares
how many cars are there in the entire country. I can ignore
all cars beyond a certain limit (the limit depends on how long
I am counting) and the distribution is exactly the same.

The experimental distribution gives me the mean number of
counts; it is = 2.20 per interval. It also gives me the relative
frequency of 0.24 for recording only one count per interval.
For my practical purpose the relative frequency is the
probabiliity p which appear in the binomial distribution.
Something must be wrong with this logic (see below) but
I do not see it.

If this logic is correct then I must use n=2.2/0.24=9.1. So
strating with n=10 is reasonable. The resulting distribution
is narrower than the experimental, as shown below. But
with n=170 (I had to use Sterling's formula for this) I got
a rather good fit. This is also shown below. The n=10^23
would give a slightly better fit but n=170 is good enough
for me, and for my computer program. Thanks to those
who responded.

cnts binom experim n=10 exper n=170

0 1932 3321 3249
1 6102 7278 7277