From what? do we deduce that the excess charge exclusively resides on the
surfaces of the conductor. Remembering that we are in a situation where the
electric field is not zero to the interior of the conductor, and the normal
use of Gauss' law to show excess charges resides on the surfaces of a
conductor in electro-static situations does not apply as that arguement
typically utilizes the fact that E=0 to the interior of a bulk conductor.

I just realized I think I have a partial answer.

Joel Rauber

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu]On Behalf Of THOMAS SANDIN
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2000 11:31 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Current in a wire

In a normal metal, the current is uniformly
distributed across the
cross section of the wire for dc and low frequency ac.
(In contrast, all the current is on the surface if the wire is
superconducting (Type 1). This distribution occurs because of the
Meissner effect--there is no magnetic flux within the bulk of such a
superconductor.)
Excess charge appears on the surface at bends of a normal
wire--required to bend the electric field along the axis of the wire.
Tom Sandin