From: Lemmerhirt, Fred <FLemmerhirt@MAIL.WCC.CC.IL.US>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: 2000 March 16 4:05 AM
Subject: Concerned about grades

Long ago (1964-69), as an undergraduate student and graduate teaching
assistant, I was accustomed to exam averages and corresponding grading
scales in physics courses being rather low. So I was not surprised that
during my first few years of teaching on my own I settled on a grading
scale
with "cutoffs" that were somewhat lower than students were used to in some
of their other courses. My explanation to students has always been that
there is very little "padding" on my exams, and that someone who might get
30% or so on a multiple-choice exam in another course without "opening the
book" would probably get something closer to zero on a physics exam.

I get to know my students' level of understanding and achievement fairly
well, independent of exams, and I usually feel that the grading scale I
use
assigns appropriate grades to most students. So, working in relative
isolation, I have been generally satisfied with the grades I submit. But
now
that I am able to look at many course syllabi on physics department web
pages at a wide variety of colleges and universities, I find that the
great
majority of published grading scales use cutoffs substantially above those
of my own scale. (Specifically, my C/D dividing line is usually around
55%,
while I find the D/F line is most commonly 60%.)

In working with community college transfer students, one of my goals is
that
their physics experience, including the way they are evaluated, should be
roughly equivalent to what they would have encountered at the schools to
which they transfer. So I am wondering if any of you have philosophies on
this aspect of grading that you are willing to share. How concerned
should
I be about this?

Fred Lemmerhirt
Waubonsee Community College