Re: Physics First

I don't agree with Herb that it would be preferable for physics teachers
to teach only physics but not chemistry. Maybe it is because of my personal
situation (and I freely admit I'm a "strange" guy). I started out in the
system the Digby described in Minnesota. I wanted to teach chemistry but
wasn't much interested in physics (probably because my high school physics
teacher was a math teacher and liked multiple choice physics tests). This
teacher and most of my college teachers taught physics as an applied math
class. I didn't get any excitement from these classes like I did from
chemistry so I got a full chemistry major and enough physics to get the
license. After teaching physics for two years (like I had learned it) I took
a PRISMS course at the University of Northern Iowa. The purpose of the
course was to demonstrate a different way of learning but I learned a lot of
physics and I got excited about it. The enrollment in my physics classes
doubled. A few years ago I got my masters degree in physics teaching and
next year I'll be teaching physics, electricity & magnetism, geology and
astronomy, no chemistry.

My point is this: don't subject more students to physics as an applied
math class where you do a lab "once in a while" to make it look like
physics. Students in these classes don't ever catch on to the excitement of
physics. I'm not saying that a math teacher can't teach physics. I am
saying in general that given the same training in physics I'd rather see a
"chemistry" person teaching physics than a "math" person because there is a
better probability that the "chemistry" person will at least bring along some
scientific inquiry procedures.

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

I agree that it would be preferable for physics teachers to teach only
phyiscs
(and possibly math) but not chemistry. However, consider the many smaller
high schools throughout the country where there are not enough students
to warrant the teaching of physics and chemistry every year. It has been
a custom in such schools to alternate the offering of physics one year
and chemistry the next year with the same teacher.. In such cases
it is essential to have the teacher licensed in both chemistry and
physics.

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Hutchinson High School