Re: Laws and Theories

In another thread people wrote that mathematics, not
a science, is "the queen of sciences". I tend to think
that mathematics is science because it does test its
predictions, either manually or with computers. Like
physics, it is in everything scientific. Even some
non-scientists use it, sometimes.

I see a pyramid: chemistry depends on physics,
biology depends on chemistry, psychology depends
on biology and economics depends on psychology.
Much more than the other way around. Yes, this is
a big oversimplification, each discipline does have
unique components and many practical applications.
But the overall picture is useful.

New scientific disciplines, such as geology, evolve
from existing disciplines, in this case chemistry,
physics and, in part, biology. The disciplines do
not contradict each other, they support each other.

Some may say that mathematics, like logic, belongs
to philosophy. And that philosophy is our queen.
Ludwik Kowalski