Re: Education

Does this philosophy also apply to NSF funding for basic science research?

NSF grants are peer reviewed -- which puts them in a different class --
this does not mean that there is no bureaucratic snafus.

When I was at the IBM Research Center (in another time) it was clear that I
knew far more about my research and its value than my bosses -- usually
they listened, but sometimes not -- especially when I told them that the
line of inquery was worthless -- but they signed the paycheck. <g>

A classic example was when Corporate sent a memo to everyone offering a
huge prize for new inovative things to do. BUT don't bother suggesting
things like a desktop computer. (The Apple II had just been released and
at IBM was thought of in derision.) <g>)

How about "Federally funded or controlled" laboratories? Do you believe
that industry and comercial interests are best suited to know what is
worthy of research investment? Is this type of federal expenditure OK?

I don't know about the Laboratories -- There appears to be mixed reviews --
But no one else has the power to take our money and spend it on the likes
of the Hubble Telescope --a project of great interest for astronomers and
cosmologists but of absolutely no value to the people who provided the
money. I wish I had my money back. Let the feds solicit donations. OR to
spend the money on nuclear weapon research. This was good -- sort of.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen