Re: PSEUDO-SCIENCE ? (rambling but not long)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:20:54 -0500 Ludwik Kowalski
<KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU> writes:

Does anybody know the history of the name "Earth Science",
as opposed to a very respectable name "Geology"?
Ludwik Kowalski

I believe that it started in New York City which originally had a
one-year science course called "Physiography" back in the 1930's. It was
essentially a physical geology course which could be taken in place of
(or in addition to) physics and chemistry to meet requirements for a high
school "Academic" diploma.
Then somewhere in the 1940's New York State created the Earth Science
Course which contains
not only mineralogy, structural geology, and paleontology, but also
astronomy, meteorology, and oceanography. At the present time the New
York State "regents" earth science course also mandates that 30 hours of
laboratory work be included and that students pass a state-wide regents
examination at the end of the year.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where I was once a student and president of the Newtown High School
physiography club way back in 1938)