Re: What Hath Einstein Writ?

At 12:10 PM -0700 2/23/00, Jim Green wrote:

>I disagree. The daughter nuclei are what is left behind, normally
>accounting for little if any of the released energy or of the
>momentum of the system because they are locked in a lattice (not
>necessarily, though.

Oh my. It is true that I have not closely witnessed a nuclear explosion.
but from the photos I have seen it would appear that the so called daughter
products _do_ go flying off at high speed and temperature and therefore do
have a high energy -- AND a higher mass than the rest -- otherwise mass is
not conserved -- which is required in my picture of the Universe. Yes, in
a controlled reaction the daughter products for the most part remain in the
reactor -- except for the likes of Chernobyl -- but these products have
high energy AND high mass.

The issue is clouded by the use of language like "release energy" -- energy
is not a substance which is "released".

If we measured the mass of the weapon (at rest) and gathered up the
particulate remains of the explosion (again, once they were 'at
rest')we would find a gram or so of less mass. There is no gamma
factor involved since the products and reactants are all 'at rest'.

Is it correct to say that the DELTAS obey the Einstein equation

i.e. Delta E = Delta m c^2

but I still don't see the gamma factor in Jim's discussion. at least
not once things have 'calmed down'.

britton@academic.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936