Textbook alternatives

Speaking of texts, it seems that physics textbooks undergo a new edition
every three or four years or so. Personally, while I appreciate
improvements in the texts, in most cases I don't think the improvements
are worth the change. For example, when a new edition comes out, students
can no longer sell back used textbooks to the bookstore. Also, I write
study guides for the students and my references to page numbers and such
have to be redone for each new edition.

I'm sorry. I suppose I am just venting. Does anybody else share my
concern? Should I be concerned? Is there a textbook that
DOESN'T get revised every few years? Is there a solution?

I am also concerned. For many years I've suggested to physics editors that
their textbooks be smaller and lighter and contain NO problems, or just a
few derivation-type problems. (This book would have value for many years.)
The problems and exercises would be in separate paperback volumes, easily
revised. Of course, the publishers make less money this way, so they
haven't accommodated me.

Our official text right now is Halliday/Resnick/Walker. But this semester
in our introductory calculus-level course I have NO required textbook.
Students choose their own. (One of our new assistant professors
complimented me, saying that was the German way.) I told them anything
since 1960 is all right. I also asked our local bookstores to buy large
quantities of the Physics Infomall, which has several old textbooks on it
(though not in a very convenient form), and they sell it for $33.50. This
is a great reference for students but I don't know how many are using it.

I make available on the internet the class notes and homework assignments
(they are also sold through a local copy shop). I think the students won't
have trouble "seeing the forest" this way. Eventually I hope to have all
this on a CD-ROM sold at cost (a one-dollar textbook!). Does this idea
appeal to anyone?
Laurent Hodges, Professor of Physics
12 Physics Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3160
lhodges@iastate.edu http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lhodges