Re: webassign

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Crook wrote:

Does anyone have experience using web-based homework software systems
such as WebAssign?

I am currently a happy user of WWWAssign (WebAssign's predecessor).
I have given talks here at Lafayette about it, you can check out:

http://www.lafayette.edu/~doughera/talks/ets9912/
and
http://www.lafayette.edu/~doughera/talks/ets9810/

I was seriously concerned that students might object to the software as
somehow depersonalizing, since their work wasn't graded by a human. (At a
small school like Lafayette, the personal touch is highly valued.) To my
surprise and please, however, student response has been quite
enthusiastic.

I do believe there is no such thing as a free lunch, however. Working
with this system, I estimate I have not really reduced the total time I
spend on the course, just reallocated it for the better.

--
Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
Dept. of Physics