Re: A rotating Earth?

In the Cosmos episode on Kepler, I think Sagan said that most things worked
except the orbit of Mars, which was off by 8 minutes of arc.

Digby Willard

I think a more careful statement would be that Kepler showed that a
model based on circular motion could not work, neither the Copernican
nor the Tychonian. As I recall it was a matter of a few data points
missing by twice Tycho precision. Something to tell students about when
they wonder why precision is important.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Rick Strickert