From: Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese
[mailto:georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 4:00 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Hot water in microwave

I think I have the answer: Until the microwave oven, it was unusual for
"people" to heat liquids in glass. The usual utensils have nucleating
sources which make it difficult to superheat. With the microwave most
don't use metal sauce pans in which to heat. This explains the sudden rash
of experience with superheated liquids. I suspect that putting any rough
solid, especially a powder (instant coffee), in a superheated liquid will
cause explosive vaporization.