Re: Poynting vector energy transport

At 2:15 PM -0800 2/3/00, Chuck Britton wrote:
At 4:51 PM -0800 2/2/00, Leigh Palmer wrote:
I love the Poynting vector energy transport picture. It is
perfectly clear in that representation that when one hooks
a battery across a resistor energy flows into the resistor
from the space outside! People who believe in material
energy will confidently say that the energy "comes from"
the battery.

And when the Poynting vector is calculated for the battery, it
clearly shows that the energy IS 'flowing' from the battery!!!

That is quite true. Do you you accept that picture of the
locality of the energy flow? If you do, I have a follow up.

Nothing can illustrate the unreality of energy
more dramatically than this example.

Leigh

I don't follow the 'unreality' bit.

Just because it 'goes' thru empty space doesn't mean it isn't real.

OK; the believer would say it gets there through the wires.

Just like the 'energy flow' from the sun.

Not one bit like it.

Leigh