From: Ludwik Kowalski [mailto:KowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 6:44 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: no lab facilities

If "distance learning" methods of teaching replace real
laboratory encounters then activities described by Bob (see
below) will become standard practice. Will this be less or
more useful then real labs? What are physics labs for? How
effective are they in teaching? What are simulations for?
How effective are they in practice? What are lectures for?
How effective are they? What are textbooks for? What are
teachers for?

Somehow nobody is debating these issues while the
"Internet highways" are being built and promoted. The
prevailing idea is that computer technology is good for
learning in all areas. That is why many schools (even
technical colleges) spend the equipment $ on computers
rather than on other learning tools. Where can I find the
official AAPT policy on distabce learning, or on computer
simulations?
Ludwik Kowalski

snip...