Re: Snake Oil

Andy Dougherty wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Zach Wolff wrote:

I take some objection to the mention of acupuncture
with a list of snake oil remedies. I believe the NIH,
along with other prestigious traditional medicine
authorities, has commented that acupuncture does have
therapeutic value.

You are correct about NIH, but sadly that doesn't necessarily mean it has
therapeutic value. Bob Park has written about this several times in his
What's New newsletter (http://www.aps.org, look for What's New link). A
search there on accupuncture turned up 5 hits, but the most relevant one
is the following:

What's New by Robert L. Park, Friday, 7 November 1997

As seems typical of modern Western science culture, we ignore immense amounts
of qualitative data and several thousand years of Eastern cultural beliefs.
Since we can't explain it: it absolutely is wrong.

Jerry Hester
Jhester@mtu.edu
Laboratory/Lecture Demonstrations Coordinator
Department of Physics
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931-1295