Re: Snake Oil

You guys haggling over what is and is not snake oil need some
perspective. What we call "traditional medicine" in the West
is frequently on shaky ground. Success of our physicians still
depends strongly on the faith their patients invest in them.
That is what is called the "placebo effect"; it is real. Many,
many examples could be cited of conservative medical practices
which were just plain nonsense. Take, for example, gastric
ulcers, long known to be stress induced, and now acknowledged
to be caused by an agent which can be treated with antibiotics.

I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a 64-year-old educated
person who endured the traditional Kenny treatment for polio
back in 1954 (the laying on of steaming wool). The principal
threat to my health at present is my refractory position toward
the placebo effect. I don't trust any physician. I think that
skeptical attitude may well prolong my life.

Accupuncture is very big here in Vancouver, and it works for
many people, especially for those who believe in it.

Leigh