Re: dispersion at Chichenitza

At 10:47 AM 1/10/00 -0500, kyle forinash wrote:
>there is a distinctive chirp in the echo; lower sounds
>return faster creating an echo that rises in pitch.
> Does anyone know exactly how this works?

If you had reported a sound that *falls* in pitch there would be a
beautiful explanation. It would be a great demonstration of
diffraction-grating physics.

You don't need to travel to the Yucatan to observe acoustical
diffraction. Any building with exterior lattice-work on a sufficiently
coarse scale will do nicely. Actually most such buildings are nicer than
pyramids, because they give you more options as to the angle of incidence.

If you really are reporting a sound that *rises* in pitch I have no idea
what is going on.