dispersion at Chichenitza

I had the good fortune to spend part of the Christmas break on the
sunny beaches in the Yucatan and was able to visit the ruins at
Chichenitza. While there I was able to hear first hand what is talked
about in many guide books: a kind of dispersion effect for sharp
sounds made directly in front of the great pyramid. If you clap you
hands about 30 to 50 meters away while standing directly in front of
the stairs there is a distinctive chirp in the echo; lower sounds
return faster creating an echo that rises in pitch. (Local guides
point out that it sounds like a the call of a local bird, which it
very much does.) The pyramid has a rectangular base and the steps
rise at what must be close to a 40 degree angle. Does anyone know
exactly how this works?

kyle
kyle forinash 812-941-2390
kforinas@ius.edu