Re: schooling and grades

Barlow Newbolt wrote:

It may be another urban legend, but I have been told that
Faraday was largely innocent of formal education and
learned about electricity by hanging around the Royal
Society and setting up demonstrations for the scientific
elite of the day. WBN

I think this is basically a true story. As has been pointed out, he
was working for a bookbinder and got interested in the books the firm
was binding, started attending the lectures given by Humphry Davy and
others at the Royal Institution (not the Royal Society, I believe),
and was eventually taken on by Davy as his assistant. Apparently Davy
was a trial to work for and Davy's wife was even worse. I have read
something written by Faraday while he was travelling with the Davys
on the continent. Mrs. Davy seemed to enjoy treating young Faraday
like a chattel slave.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>