From: Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 5:02 PM
Subject: dS=0

Bob, in great insight says the following:

I'm not sure what you're after here, but the term dW = PdV, in the
First
law applied to a gas, would be replaced by the generalized term YdX for
more general system (eg.: charged particles in E fields, magnetic
dipoles
in B fields, masses in gravitational fields). In these systems, are
not
adiabatic variations of the applied field pertinent to your
considerations?

Bob, I understand what you say and I think that in principle I ought to
be
able to do this sort of calculation. Maybe it is just that I don't
know
enough physics or maybe that I am just stymied, but I have not been able
do so -- I have tried!

Hence an appeal to the list: Read my derivation of dS on the web page in
question and do such a derivation for some other system which ends with
dS=0. . . .