Re: grade inflation, etc.

At 10:39 PM 1/5/00 -0500, Rick Tarara wrote:

While knowledge for knowledge's sake is a lofty goal, I think you
will find few 'daddies' willing to pay for such. For the few that are in
college 'just to learn' then grades are irrelevant anyway.

I won't disagree with your assessment of your students and their parents.
I'm sure you know them well. All I will say is that your report makes me sad.

* I'm sad to hear that your student's love of learning has been
extinguished, with so few exceptions.

* I'm sad to hear that their parents, with few exceptions, will only pay
for "safe" courses rather than for advanced courses where the student will
learn more at the risk of a lower grade. Ditto for extracurricular
activities.

* I'm sad to hear that your students are applying to employers who are so
clueless that they can't tell the difference between a B in an advanced
course and an A in a "safe" course. Similarly I'm sad that the students
and their advisors don't realize that some employers *can* tell the
difference.

*** My only question is, what do you propose to do about it?