Re: grade inflation, etc.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Digby Willard" <dwillard@milk.central.stpaul.k12.mn.us>

Responding to the message of Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:01:44 -0500
from "Richard W. Tarara" <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU>:

It doesn't matter how much one knows, or how skilled one is, if one
doesn't
demonstrate the knowledge and/or skill in some 'useful' way. In school,
we
use assessment tools like tests, quizzes, and assignments (lab reports
in
this case) to allow students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills.

'Useful' to whom? The student went in, learned what he wanted to learn
(the pronoun is not misplaced; these students are almost always boys) and
also helped a lab partner or two learn what they wanted to learn...or at
least, what I wanted to learn. I've had lots of students who enjoyed most
aspects of physics, but very few have ever said they enjoyed writing up
lab
reports. Those who do either a) know that they won't understand the lab
until they write it up, and enjoy wrestling with the concepts as they
write; or b) have discovered something in lab that nobody else knew.

Like it or not, a College education is mostly about gaining the knowledge
and skills (ultimately the skill to learn) that will allow a student to
pursue a career or careers. It is part of their 'basic training' if you
will. While knowledge for knowledge's sake is a lofty goal, I think you
will find few 'daddies' willing to pay for such. For the few that are in
college 'just to learn' then grades are irrelevant anyway. Therefore,
'useful' to a future employer, to society, to humanity, and perhaps even to
one's self.

It
is also important to assess attitude and work ethic in students to help
determine how well they will do at the 'next level'. The student above
(and
those 'bright' students from another note) who don't have the discipline
do the assignments are poor risks for employers (whether in research,
business, or academia). Yes, some will rise above the immaturity that
leads
to 'blowing off' assignments, but perhaps the very impetus to do so will
be
the lower grade received in the course. In other words--you NEED to
penalize the person who does not turn in a report.

Five questions about work ethic:

1) What's "work ethic?"

It is many things, but to me primarily a willingness to put in the necessary
effort to achieve a goal OR to fulfill a responsibility. The latter
especially applies to employees in today's workplace. One has a level of
responsibility to an employer. In a school situation there is essentially
an unwritten (sometime even written) contract between instructor and student
which requires effort and commitment from both sides. Students unwilling
to fulfill the 'work' clauses have broken the contract. This is, IMO, a
reasonably predictor for their future efforts in their chosen fields.

2) Why do you assess it?

Are assignments done (with care)? Do students put out at least the minimum
effort necessary to learn the subject?

3) How do you assess it?

stuttering here I think-- ;-)

4) What qualifies one to assess it? My training in physics qualifies me
assess skill in physics, to some degree. I have no training in 'work
ethic,' other than that given me by my parents.

Every instructor has been a student, and most have been successful students.
We should have a reasonable feel for the kinds and levels of effort
required. In other situations the assessment is even more straight
forward--does the work get done!

5) Is there such a thing as a 'play ethic' and if so, does it have any
bearing on future performance in a given field?

?????

Three questions about grades and their purpose(so):

6) Would it be correct to say that you consider grades to be a necessary
motivational component of obedience training for students? That's what I
draw from your comments above.

Not obedience, but responsibility and commitment training--at least in
part.

7) Do you consider a grade to be an indication of a student's ability in a
subject?

Again, in part. Generally people who get high grades in my courses HAVE
more ability in the subject than people who get low grades. There is a gray
area in the middle that cuts both ways. As I said in the early note, grades
are only one assessment tool in predicting future success.

8) Is there any conflict between your answers to 7 and 8?

6 and 7? NO

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software
Win9x, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, PowerMac versions.
Details at www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara