Re: Grade Inflation (Was: Student Evaluations of Teaching)

On Sun, 02 Jan 2000 11:23:28 -0800 "Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese"
<georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM> writes:

Another example if the increasing disparity in our 'new communist
free" world. Education is even less free and available -- to the
advantage of the kleptocrats.

Please explain the term "kleptocrats" . I am unable to find it in my
dictrionary or encyclopedia. Does it have anything to do with
kleptomania"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we have every nationality except kleptocrats)

There are many kleptocrats in New York City, one of the most taxed portions
of the country.
Kleptocrat is an elected individual who is unable to keep his/her hands out
of taxpayers pockets and seek to take away individual freedoms. This is a
very right-wing definition. :>]

Grade inflation is a problem. It gives students the somewhat false belief
that they have gained something by attending school, parents the false
belief that they have gotten something for their money, and educators the
false belief that students are learning in their courses. A university is
no longer a place of learning, but rather a place to receive a much
desired piece of paper that _entitles_ an individual to a high-paying job.
We live in the land of entitlement and delusion.