Re: Student Evaluations of Teaching

I have studied Mark's web page and warmly concur that grading is just
getting out of hand. For example, do I understand correctly that at the
likes of Stanford only A's and B's are given -- with the arrogant belief
that all C and lesser students just have not been admitted.

But what I want to know is whether it matters --- as long as everyone knows
what is going on.

Can't we have a system where -- like at Lake Wobegone (I think it is), all
the students are above average.

I am in a dialogue with the principal of the local Middle School where
their Honor Roll was just published in the newspaper: It would seem that
20% of the 6th graders are getting a 4.00 and 50% are on the honor Roll
with a grade of 3.667 or better.

Is there any comment re this situation?

Does anyone think that this is a disservice to the students?

TX

Jim Green