Re: Online classes

There is no question that on-line instruction is a valuable adjunct
to the traditional methods in those cases where it is the only way to
get teacher and students together (the Australian Outback comes
immediately to mind). But this bloke Draves scares the Hell out of
me. The thought of all education being done in the way he is said to
have predicted sounds downright Orwellian to me. It's bad enough that
we have live professors lecturing to auditoriums filled with up to
1000 students, but to have a talking head doing that is a travesty on
everything that we call education. At best a class with hundreds of
students is a one way street, with information flowing from the
professor to the student, probably through an impedance mismatched
filter. There is already a huge impedance mismatch in a regular small
classroom with only a few students and plenty of opportunity for
feedback. It's probably OK for students to get a few of these
mega-classes, but if that's all they get, I fear for the future of
the country.

Hugh

I could not agree more with Peter. I have been teaching an online
junior-level course on energy and the environment -
http://energy.fullerton.edu - for the past few years. I can't even imagine
offering such a course to more than 25 students at one time.

Draves is just another one of those educrat/administrator types who views
education as a commodity rather than an experience.

Mark Shapiro
http://www.IrascibleProfessor.com