Re: Thermo/Sidebar

>But my question is whether there is _any_ example of a macroscopic
>reversible process other than the ideal piston in a cylinder.

John suggests the following:

1) Springs are missing iff they have been arbitrarily ruled out.

Well, John, I don't rule them out -- in fact this may be another example --
such as I have been looking for:

Are you suggesting an "ideal" (ie reversible ie coefficient of restitution
of unity) spring (or say a rubber ball) with a platform mounted upon it --
such that sand might be poured upon the platform quasi-statically?

A calculation of deltaW seems straight forward but how would one calculate
deltaS? Can one calculate a density of states?

Hummmm, let me think on this.

The following don't seem macroscopic to me:

2) What about the thermodynamics of chemical equilibrium? pH and pKa and
all that?

3) What about the thermodynamics of charging a battery?

I must confess that I don't know much about the following:

4) What about the thermodynamics of a dilution refrigerator, e.g. the
venerable Electrolux cycle, or the 3He-4He dilution refrigerator?

5) Perhaps simplest of all, what about the thermodynamics of an adiabatic
demagnetization refrigerator?

In what sense are they macroscopic the way the classical cylinder is? How
would I calculate deltaQ, deltaW and deltaS for a cycle?

TX for the suggestions.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen