Re: Thermo of Springs/Pedagogy

Ludwik wrote the following -- in a fit of great insight:

True for a one-to-one dialog, as it is in this game. But in general
attempts to put too much into the first physics course are not
desirable, in my opinion. It takes time to start thinking in terms
of physics. I do believe that "less can be more". Let them enjoy
illusions of mastery instead of frustrations produced by "so much
of it". Yes, there is a lot to lose by trying to put too much on little
shoulders.

True enough, but I wonder if "we" -- the good guys -- sometimes teach such
weak physics thta later some instructor will need -- only with great effort
-- to correct what "we" teach.

Look at the nonsense taught at times by Bill Nye or the stuff on The
Learning Channel here in Utah -- I trust other states have similar
quasi-physics taught. Or in fact the physics taught in many of "our" intro
(or even advanced) courses. All because it is easier to teach this than
"correct" physics (whatever that is).

True enough, we can't teach GR to intro classes but we don't need to teach
cartoon physics either.

I am still over here in my corner -- waiting for the turkey.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen