New radiation survival champ

Here's a tidbit from the world of biophysics that really caught my
attention. The Institute For Genomic Research (TIGR), a DOE-funded
not-for-profit enterprise, has a strain of bacteria that can remain
alive following 1.5 MEGARADS of gamma irradiation (3000X lethal human
dose)! Deinococcus radiodurans has its genome shredded into hundreds of
pieces by the radiation, and is able to repair the DNA damage in a day!

I'm trying to decide, is this good news or bad news? TIGR and DOE claim
the existence of these resourceful little critters heralds all sorts of
exciting potential benefits for humankind, but I keep thinking: Kudzu?

You can read the story, adapted from a TIGR news release, at the Science
Daily E-zine site
<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/11/991123080430.htm>.
TIGR is at <http://www.tigr.org>.

Best wishes,