coke can tapping

Greetings,

So what is the latest explanation as to why tapping
the side (or top) of a shaken coke can drastically
reduces the tendency for it to spray Coke everywhere
upon opening? In fact, just exactly what's happening
when the can is shaken? It doesn't seem doing so
should increase the gas pressure in the can. Perhaps
it forms bubbles on the inside walls which are
detached upon tapping? Ahh...I think I may see the
answer. If bubbles are formed on the wall upon
shaking, and then the can is opened, the bubbles will
suddenly expand...

Excuse my ramblings...any other thoughts?

LEon