Re: Every teacher's fantasy --- on CBS tonight

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Roger Freedman wrote:

Griffin dreams that teachers are given the same elite status and pay as
professional athletes.
It's NOT pay and status: it's the dedication, commitment and
involvement of our charges with what WE are trying to do.
I had the interesting, enlightening experience of being a 'sideline'
coach for Bucknell's football team this year, so got to watch the way kids
respond to the demands of their coaches and situation.
In class yesterday, I told my class how impressed I was by the
experience and asked what it would take to get them to commit the same
level of energy, dedication and involvement to p.chem. as they do to their
'extracurricular' activities.
No response. Flatline.
I think we know why, but that remains my fantasy: a roomful of students
(or even more than a scant few) as eager to beat p. chem. in the classroom
as the team is to beat an opponent on the field.

John N. Cooper, Chemistry
Bucknell University
Lewisburg PA 17837-2005
jcooper@bucknell.edu