Re: car windshields

I have a rather more "graphic" experience with car glass -- both front
and rear winndows. I am not only a Physics teacher, but also an EMT for
my community.

While the glass resting on the victims, after the crash is finished
happening, is "safer" to remove/clear from the patients, it STILL causes
tremendous lacerations -- especially if no seat belt is worn, it is worn
improperly, or a car seat for an infant is installed improperly.

The only benefit I've seen to "safety glass" is from lowered post
accident lacerations -- the ones that happen as we try to extract people
from the vehicles. In this case, the "safety glass" is a benefit.

Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College

Zach Wolff wrote:

--- Gary Karshner <karshner@STMARYTX.EDU> wrote:
The strain
glasses nuggets are not
sharp, where as shatterproof glasses shards can
cause cuts.

Unfortunately this is only a myth perpetuated by the
automotive industry. I spent a summer a couple of
years ago breaking various types of glass under
various stresses. This "safety glass" which is
supposed to break into small nuggets with no sharp
edges does so, but several minutes after fracture.
This is of no benefit to those in a car accident who
encounter the sharp glass shards in seconds or less.

Zach Wolff
University of Arizona