Re: Charge Distribution around pointed areas

At 17:00 11/15/99 -0500, David Strasburger wrote:
I'm not sure what kind of kids are in "Ontario grade 12A Physics" and so
what type of explanation you are looking for. A quantitative explanation
was posted recently so I'll add the story I typically tell a conceptual
class:

Consider awkward fourteen-year-olds at a dance. They try to stay away
from each other. (Ok -- it's not the best analogy -- but let's just accept
the story for the sake of having something to visualize.) If the dance is
held in a round room the kids will plaster themselves against the
periphery, uniformly staying as far from each other (and the dance floor)
as possible. If, however, the room is rectangular, the kids will have
higher concentrations at the corners (not just because they're dark)
because they make the following compromise: be closer to a few of their
classmates in exchange for being farther from the majority.

The analogy is flawed in a number of ways -- but it helps kids get a first
picture.

David Strasburger

I'm really getting into David's world view.
So the students not only plaster the wall,
but they protrude half way out. And, on this scale, there are no
sharp corners, it is all a curve. And on the curve, there is a
little more student circumference protruding than remaining in
the interior.
So with reduced internal repulsion from other student charges,
equilibrium obtains when the students are a little closer at the
curves.
But with increased external student charge exposure, the external
field is intensified.

Yes, I see it all.... :-)
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK