Re: delta V = I R

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Edmiston <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: delta V = I R

Bob Sciamanda asks what we call (delta-V)/I for a non-ohmic device. I
don't think we call it anything. Although some people would still call
it "resistance," I don't think a non-ohmic device has a resistance.
"Having" a resistance implies a definite value. If (delta-V)/I yields
a different result for each value of delta-V, then this ratio has no
set value for that device/material. What would be the point of giving
a name to it?
* * * *

Whence comes the dictum that we only define constant properties of matter?

Whether constant or not, the ratios V/I and dV/dI are so useful that
"everyone" gives them names: resistance and dynamic resistance.
.

We do this type of thing all the time. PV = nRT is the ideal gas law.
It applies to any gas which is behaving ideally. If the gas is not
behaving ideally, then PV = nRT does not apply.

Not at all a parallel. We have independent definitions of the quantities
involved.

Likewise, delta-V = IR applies to devices that are behaving in an ohmic
manner. If the device is not ohmic, then this equation does not apply.
Is that too complicated? If so, is PV = nRT too complicated?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D. Phone/voice-mail:
419-358-3270
Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net