Re: macroscopic vs microscopic degrees of freedom

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Joel Rauber wrote:

Instead of trying to decide if some activity was dW or not, lets decide if
it is dQ or not.

That is *precisely* what I was trying to say.

dQ arises from that part of an energy transfer between two systems in
contact(not to be viewed as a flow, but rather as an accounting terminology)
that occurs by virtue of a difference in temperature between the systems.
The transfer of energy that arises from any other means is dW; that is, the
complement to what is dQ.

And that is *precisely* the "loose definition" (of both dQ and dW) that I
was trying to propose.

Thanks for saying it more simply and directly than I did.