Re: why pseudowork (NOT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Jim Green wrote:

This seems to me like just so many words. The _only_ way to increase the
internal energy of a system is to do either work or heat on the
system. (ie delta E = W + Q) To say things like

conversion of bulk kinetic energy into internal energy.

is just hand waving.

We have already discussed ad nausium the fact that energy does not
"move". The only way to change the bulk kinetic energy is to do work on
the system. Why do we have to make such a mystery out of the First Law and
it's partner The Work/Energy principle.

Jim,

I would be better able to answer your question if I knew which work/energy
theorem you live by, so let me ask you to answer the following question:

A 2 kg block and a 1 kg block head toward each other with equal and
opposite velocities of magnitude 1 m/s. After colliding, the 2 kg
block is at rest. How much work was done on the 1 kg block?