From: Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 1999 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: why pseudowork (NOT)

I would say, for instance, that when two blocks collide
inelastically, they may or may not do work on each other
(depending on the definition you want to use, the reference frame,
etc.), but they *certainly* do not heat each other (beyond some
minor amount that might occur by conduction simply due to
contact.) Still, their internal energies increase and their
temperatures may rise measurably primarily as a result of the
conversion of bulk kinetic energy into internal energy.

This seems to me like just so many words. The _only_ way to increase
the
internal energy of a system is to do either work or heat on the
system. (ie delta E = W + Q) To say things like

conversion of bulk kinetic energy into internal energy.

is just hand waving.

We have already discussed ad nausium the fact that energy does not
"move". The only way to change the bulk kinetic energy is to do work on
the system. Why do we have to make such a mystery out of the First Law
and
it's partner The Work/Energy principle.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com