Re: inertial forces (definition)

I'm not sure I would make such a bold statement as the one below. There is,
of course, a difference between whether Isaac would've made the distinction,
say in published and carefully written works; and whether he understood the
difference in the two concepts and might've talked about them over a beer in
a crowded pub with a trusted friend. Is anyone on the list familiar enough
with the biographies, e.g. Westerfall's book (sp ?) to address this
question with some degree of certitude.

Joel

Isaac himself would not have made the distinction between inertial and
gravitational mass. This became most clear when Coulomb's law showed
that, by analogy, Newtonian gravitation involved a
"gravitational charge",
conceptually distinct from the inertial mass in F=ma.
However, by Newtonian physics we usually mean the consistent
development
of Isaac's beginnings by those who developed and extended his ideas
without contradiction. Even our wording of Isaac's 3 laws
clarifies and
modernizes his statements.

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)