Re: inertial forces (definition)

3) Newtonian viewpoint says, gravity is not one of these types of forces
since the gravitational is proportional to the gravitational mass of the
object.

Was that Newton's viewpoint? Did he distinguish inertial and
gravitational mass? He was aware that there is something funny
about the gravitational force which seemed to act at a distance.
Today we understand that Newton's third law doesn't hold for
gravitational forces. (There is no body on which you exert a
force which is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to
the force of gravity which acts on you, even on a nonspinning
planet.) One must inject the intermediary of a field (which is
not a body) to save a semblance the appearances. Newton coined
the word "centrifugal" to describe a similar force. I don't
believe he ever called it an inertial force.

I would appreciate a citation to answer my question. I believe
I was taught that Newton meant the same kind of mass that he
spoke of in his dynamics when he formulated his law of gravity.
The realization that there might be a problem came later, did
it not? It seems we should not be designating things that are
not Newtonian as Newtonian.

Leigh