Re: Snell (in Calcite)

I know that this thread is of no interest to most phys-L-ers. But
I need some help. We are now sure that two beams emerging
from calcite crystals, even in principal sections, are not parallel
to each other. The divergence angle can be as large as 0.4 degrees.
This is strange for block of transparent material whose faces are
exactly parallel. We decided to publish a short note summarizing
our observations.

Being crystal optics amateurs we are prepared to benefit from a
rejection on the basis that "this is nothing new". Knowing this
will allows us to avoid a time consuming commitment we are
anticipating. On the other hand, we think that the note may
become significant.

Those who might be interested in seeing the draft of our note
should ask for it by sending me a PRIVATE message.

kowalskiL@mail.montclair.edu

What I would like in return, if possible, is to ask you for:

1) In what referee journal should the note be published?
2) How clear is the note?
3) Help to improve it stylistically, etc.
4) Confirm our observations (we will be happy to refer to
your confirmation in our note). It is really very easy
if you have a big crystal and a laser beam. A confirmation
with a green light laser, if you have one, would be the
most desirable.
5) Criticize us by suggesting in which way we may be
deceiving ourselves.

Ludwik Kowalski