Re: A weighty subject

Robert Carlson wrote:

[John Mallinckrodt] writes:

I see lots of potential here for confusion down the line. I happen to
like the identification of weight with the magnitude of m*a_freefall
because that *is* what a scale reads (i.e., they are using my definition),

Scales will read whatever you calibrate them to read.

I simply don't know what to make of this response in the context of our
discussion. It doesn't seem intended to promote clarity.

We know and that is certainly your right. We would have it be otherwise
since there is already a perfectly good name for the force of gravity
(i.e., "the force of gravity") and a very meaningful alternate use for the
name "weight."

I prefer weight, it is much shorter than "the force of gravity."

Robert. You can believe me when I say, I know that.

Would those advocating not using weight also advocate not using
acceleration, but instead always say the time rate of change in
velocity?

Why would we do that? I see no advantage to be gained.

The advantage is that it is shorter and means the same thing. Why do
mathematicians define m = (delta y)/(delta x)? I conclude it is shorter, and
easier to say slope, than delta y divided by delta x.

Let me get this straight. In response to your question (perhaps you would
like to read it again), I express puzzlement as to why you would suggest
such a thing. Your response leaves me even more puzzled and I can only
read it as saying that *you* think "it" (i.e., "time rate of change of
velocity") is a shorter phrase than "acceleration." I suspect that you
simply didn't read carefully.

Everyone that I
know agrees that acceleration IS the time rate of change of velocity.
I've never heard anyone suggest a good alternate use for the word
acceleration.

Everyone would also agree that weight is the force of gravity if they would
read their physics texts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I sense that you are saying you really
aren't interested in my *reasons* for promoting a different definition.

It is not my definition. I do not presume to be on the level to make
fundamental physics definitions. I will leave that to those with much more
knowledge than myself. Perhaps this is you John, convince me.

I have tried my best to explain rationally the reasons that I prefer a
different definition. You seem to want to have it that I am simply
"wrong." I see no point in beating my head against the wall.