Re: A weighty subject

At 10:19 PM -0600 10/13/99, Jim Green wrote:
>Keep it up. Teach your own definitions to your students. Perhaps someday
>they will pass their data on to NASA as a contractor. Another crash and
>burn. Definitions are important for communication. Change them through
>appropriate means, but please use the accepted definitions until the change
>is accepted. If you don't know what the accepted definition is,
then look it
>up. All sources I look at say the same thing.

Accepted definition????!!!!! Good grief!!! We have spent the past few
days trying to agree on some sort of definition. Has everyone been paying
attention???

If I remember correctly, about 20 years ago some 'official' US
Gummint agency (perhaps NBS or perhaps NASA) declared that the words
mass and weight were synonyms ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Is this still the case?

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936