Electronic balances was A weighty subject

I routinely switch one of them to ounces when I need to "weigh" a
letter or package that I intend to mail. (Why convert from grams to
ounces in my head, if the scale will do it for me.) Now suppose it
says that my envelope weighs 1.20 ounces. In my lab at Bluffton
College, that is probably pretty darn close. But if I take that same
envelope and same balance to the moon, it will still say that my
envelope weighs 1.20 ounces... and Jim, that is wrong.

Is this correct? If so then I am in need of some insight as to how electronic balances
work. Will someone please fill me in.

Cliff Parker