Re: Tutoring

Is it different rules, or different funding? Rice will provide a tutor for
any student with demonstrated need. Demonstrated need requires faculty
approval, meaning that the student has availed themselves of the other
avenues of help, TAs, office hours, etc. and those are not sufficient.
Last year I had two students in my math logic class who in my judgement
would benefit from tutoring, one was provided a tutor from University funds
at my recommendation,the other was provided a tutor by the athletic
department to maintain eligibility. The Athletic department paid more.

Richard Grandy
Philosophy
Rice University

Ah yes, athletes... Different rules.

The athletic program supplies unlimited individual tutoring for any
scholarship athlete who wants it. They also outbid us for tutors, but
I guess the tutor earns it.

In the bad old Rice Institute days that Paul mentions, calculus, and
"laboratory science" were absolute requirements for graduation in any
major. Old-timers on the faculty claim that standards were 'adjusted'
for athletes, but at least they had to take the courses. Now rather
few from the major sports appear in science classes.

Stan Dodds wrote:

The situation at Rice is similar, although a bit more limited. Option
1 is always available in all classes, and we are small enough that it
is practical. Instead of option 2 we offer optional 'tutorial
sessions' for beginning courses only, at scheduled times, led by a
grad student or advanced undergrad. Option 3 does not exist, to the
best of my knowledge. Option 4 is a possibility, but the university
will pay for only a few hours per student per semester, and only in
intro courses. After that the student is on his/her own.

Stan, When I was a graduate student in physics at the Institute in 19 ought
51, I was hired as a physics tutor by the athletic dept. The college did not
lower the academic standards for the football players, but they hired
special
tutors for every knuckle dragger that needed help in physics. Seems like
times have changed a bit.

poj