Re: Internal or external?

If I were to lecture, or to write a textbook, I would follow this
advice (see below). But in the non lecturing environment I often
have to react at once on the basis what happens. Even if the initiative
taken by a student is wrong I would not stop it. Let us go and see
where it leads. Let make mistakes and learn from them. At least
ideally that how I am supposed to react according to new (and also
very old) pedagogical philosophers.

I am new to this art and things are often not perfect. But overall I
have no evidence that students learn less than when I was lecturing
(trying to be as accurate as possible and not knowing what was
going in student's heads). Fortunately I have only 20 students.
Only ten or five would even be better, but not two or three. I will
ask them about tensions next Tuesday and the free body diagrams
are not going to be ignored. I agree that they are essential.
Ludwik Kowalski

Leigh wrote:

I feel exactly as Michael and Joel do. Ludwik, if you want to
show your students that your interpretation makes sense, don't
do it with Atwood's machine. Simply show them the problem
of two blocks on a horzontal frictionless surface, connected by
a string and pulled along by a string attached to one of the blocks.
That way the same lesson comes out, and there is no confusion
of directions or conventions. The equations can be the same as
those you get with Atwood's machine with the difference in ....