Re: UCLA physics course (non-rant)

[Raymond A. Rogoway <rogoway@SJM.INFI.NET> writes about how a GPA is
irrelevant after the next level is achieved.]

One of the few places where this isn't true is in education itself. I
guess this makes sense that educators would believe that grades are a good
indicator of performance and strength.

For example, at every teaching position I have looked at, they have asked
for my transcript from college (some even from high school). At first, I
thought that they were doing this as some sort of state requirement, but
in fact they looked at my grades and asked about the low ones.

I now head a department at my school, and I have been involved in hiring
teachers. We have looked at 30 year old transcripts. Good Lord, why, I
ask, but the school administrators are determined.

---

Marc Kossover
marck9@mail.idt.net