Re: UCLA physics course (non-rant)

The math department at Polytechnic is serioously raising standards and
dealing with the failure rate that occurs (50% or more in the basic
courses). We are insisting that students acquire a working comprehension
of pre-calculus and calculus, not just rote formulas or symbol pushing.

Minimum passing grade is D, and we take a D to mean that the student has
at least some chance of passing the next course. Many would be happy to
get a D and be able to move on.

Jerry Epstein