Re: Caboose?

At 04:56 PM 10/4/99 -0500, Cliff Parker wrote:
I worked for a couple of days this summer with a professor from India. I
found it interesting that he said crocodile clips when he spoke about what I
call alligator clips. Our culture makes its impact. Sometimes subtly and
sometimes not so subtly.

At 09:56 10/5/99 +0500, Sarma responded:
These are called ... Crocodile Clips in India as long as I know ( say 50
years )
and never with any other name. Perhaps the word "Crocodile Clips" is of
English origin whereas "Alligator Clips" is of American origin.
sarma.

Like other 'animal' words, this was an American import from Spanish:
"el lagarto" - lizard
Compare with mustang "mestengo" Sp., bronco = rough, Sp.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK