Re: let's outgrow puzzles

One of my colleagues who came to us out of industry (and served as project
manager for various projects) has often told me that you don't want to hire
to many physicist for the projects; because they do tend to be "puzzler"
solvers and don't stay focused on the task at hand. He also thinks you
should definitely have a few hanging around.

It is in fact my job to hire scientists.

one of the
characteristics that would be high on my list of things to look for
in the applicants would be a sense of the mystery of the universe and
an overpowering desire to solve those mysteries.

Fine, we agree.

I want the
"puzzle-solvers"--they are the ones most likely to get the job done.

Agreed.

see comment above, for a somewhat contrary opinion.

Joel Rauber